How to apply for an Export Licence

How to apply for an Export Licence

algorithm - masthead


Before proceeding, University colleagues should first complete an Export Control Query Form to check whether an Export Licence is required for a specific activity.  

If a licence is required, the academic lead or Principal Investigator should apply via the government's online submission system SPIRE.  There are two main types of licences that apply to University activities:

  • Open General Export Licence (OGEL) - pre-published licences with set terms and conditions, that are used to cover the movement of less restricted exports to less restricted destinations.  There are currently over 40 OGELs available which cover a wide range of circumstances.  For more information, please refer to the online OGEL Checker.  
  • Standard Individual Export Licence (SIEL) - if your goods, technology, software, destination or situation are not covered by an OGEL, you will need to apply for a SIEL.  This type of Export Licence is used to cover the movement of a specific quantity of items to a specific organisation / country.

The Research Policy, Intelligence and Ethics Team can advise on which type of licence is needed.